General Claude-Charles Aubry de la Boucharderie

Claude-Charles Aubry de la Boucharderie
Général de division of artillery who was mortally wounded and captured at Leipzig

Born: October 25, 1773

Place of Birth: Bresse, Ain, France

Died: November 6, 1813

Cause of Death: Mortally wounded

Place of Death: Leipzig, Germany

Arc de Triomphe: AUBRY on the east pillar


The son of an inspector general of bridges and roads, Claude-Charles Aubry de la Boucharderie entered the artillery school at Châlons-sur-Marne in March of 1792. Six months later he left the school as a lieutenant and joined the 3rd Foot Artillery, serving in Kellermann's Army of the Center. In 1793 Aubry joined the Army of the Moselle and he received a promotion to capitaine with the 6th Horse Artillery. The next year he served in the affair at Arlon and then went to the Army of the North. 1796 saw Aubry transferred to the 2nd Horse Artillery and the Army of the Rhine, and then in 1797 he was decommissioned. Put at the disposition of the Navy for a few years, Aubry eventually returned to the army in March of 1800. He immediately took up a position with the Army of the Reserve as commander of the artillery of Loison's division. The government then backdated his rank as a chef de bataillon to August of 1799 due to his time with the Navy.

In 1802 Aubry was sent to Saint-Domingue where he became the director of the arsenal at Port-au-Prince. In September of that year he became the deputy director of all the artillery in Saint-Domingue and he served in the combat near Léogone. In the meantime Aubry also became chief of staff of the artillery of the army of Saint-Domingue, and then in January of 1803 he served in the action at Port-de-Paix and was promoted to chef de brigade. Two months later he returned to France due to sickness.

In October of 1803, Aubry was well enough to resume a command and he became colonel of the 8th Foot Artillery. In 1805 he was named the chief of staff of artillery for the camp of Boulogne and he remained there for the next three years.

Colonel Aubry saw action again in the Danube campaign of 1809 when he became the chief of staff of the artillery of IV Corps and served at Ebersberg. He led his men in building the bridge at the isle of Lobau that May and then served at Aspern-Essling where he was wounded. In recognition of his services, the next month Aubry was promoted to général de brigade and made deputy commander of the artillery of IV Corps. He then took over command of the artillery on the isle of Lobau.

For the year 1810, General Aubry was made a Baron of the Empire and then commander of artillery of the Army of Illyria. In 1811 he served in Italy and then in 1812 he became deputy commander of the artillery of Oudinot's II Corps for the campaign in Russia. That June he was made a Commander of the Legion of Honor and then in August he fought at Polotsk. At the very end of August, Aubry was placed as deputy commander of the artillery of Davout's I Corps. During the retreat that November he served at Wiazma, was promoted to général de division, and then fought at the Berezina.

General Aubry continued to serve into 1813 in the campaigns in Germany. That May he was made a Count of the Empire and in August he took command of the artillery of Macdonald's XI Corps. Fighting at Leipzig in October, he was wounded in the thigh and taken prisoner. The wound was bad enough that his left leg was amputated but his body was not able to take the strain and he died a few weeks later.


Updated May 2014

© Nathan D. Jensen