General Nicolas Bernard Guiot de Lacour

Général de brigade who was mortally wounded at Wagram

Born: January 25, 1771

Place of Birth: Carignan, Ardennes, France

Died: July 28, 1809

Cause of Death: Mortally wounded

Place of Death: Gundersdorf, Austria

Arc de Triomphe: GUYOT DE LACOUR on the east pillar


The son of a colonel in regiment of Royal-Auvergne, Nicolas Bernard Guiot de Lacour followed in his father's footsteps and became a gentleman cadet in the regiment of Royal-Auvergne in 1787. In 1791 he was commissioned as a sous-lieutenant and he began serving at Saint-Domingue against the rebels. The next year Guiot de Lacour distinguished himself in May by being the first inside the camp of Crête Rouge and seizing a flag. In 1793 he returned to France to improve his health and then he joined the 1st Battalion of his regiment in the Army of the North. In January of 1794 Guiot de Lacour was promoted to chef de bataillon and then in April he became chief of staff of Moreau's 2nd Division. Later that month he fought at Menin where he was wounded by a bayonet and taken prisoner.

Guiot de Lacour returned from captivity and was promoted to chef de brigade in June of 1795. In 1799 he served in the Army of the Danube where General Jourdan arrested him in April but then released him. In June Guiot de Lacour began serving in the Mortier's division in the Army of Switzerland. That October he was wounded and taken prisoner at Muotathal. Exchanged in April of 1800, Guiot de Lacour immediately rejoined the army and he served at the Battle of Engen in May of 1800. General Moreau promoted Guiot de Lacour to général de brigade in August of 1800. In 1801 Guiot de Lacour was put on non-activity but then in 1802 he was employed in the 18th military division and he commanded the département of Yonne. In 1804 he was named a Commander of the Legion of Honor.

In 1805 Guiot de Lacour was employed in the 22nd military division and he commanded the département of Maine-et-Loire. Once was broke out, he took command of the 2nd Brigade of Mermet's Division in the Army of Italy. That November Guiot de Lacour occupied the post of Chiusa di Pletz and he went on to enter Villach. In 1806 he served with the Army of Naples and he commanded the Siege of Gaeta from February 26th to May 18th. In 1807 Guiot de Lacour took command of the 1st Brigade of Morand's 1st Division of the III Corps of the Grande Armée. He was recognized as a Knight of the Order of Saint Henry of Saxony and a Baron of the Empire in 1808.

In March of 1809 Guiot de Lacour took command of the 2nd Brigade of Morand's division. That April he served at Tengen and Schierling. In July Guiot de Lacour participated in the Battle of Wagram where he had a leg carried away by a ball. Six days later he was promoted to général de division, but he died of his wounds a few weeks later.


Updated May 2019

© Nathan D. Jensen